Generally, the goal for most working Americans is to work with a company for several years and eventually retire to enjoy life and explore opportunities that you may not have while working full-time. Today’s guest, Carl Seidman explains the concept of ‘mini-retirements’.
A mini-retirement is a lengthy break, months to years, from the normal course of everyday work life intended for personal development and creating new experiences. Carl’s ideas, much like the FIRE movement, challenge the traditional view of retirement and more importantly, his ideas challenge the way that we view career development.
In this episode we discuss:
- The concepts of mini-retirements
- Carl’s first retirement at 32
- Carl’s blog post “Does a college degree matter”
- The Mexican Fisherman story
- How to fund mini-retirements and still fund your long-term retirement
- The structure and planning involved in Carl’s mini-retirements
- Things to consider before planning a mini-retirement
- Carl’s goals
- Carl’s thoughts on the FIRE community and early retirement
At the end of the podcast, I also talk about the waitlist to the soft launch of my monthly membership program. Get monthly tips, tools, and classes to help you launch to Financial Freedom. Click here to sign up and be the first to be notified when the doors open in Summer/Fall 2018.
Nominate me as Podcast of the Year, Best FIRE Podcast & Community Builder at the 9th Annual Plutus Awards. Just enter in my website www.journeytolaunch.com to nominate me in the following categories at the 9th Annual Plutus Awards; Podcast of the Year, Best FIRE Podcast & Community Builder. Nominate me hereI'm listening to Episode 54 of the #journeytolaunch podcast, How To Take Mini-Retirements & Enjoy Life Now w/ @carlseidman Click To Tweet
Other related blog posts/links mentioned in this episode:
- Does A Degree Matter Anymore Blog Post
- Stanford’s Article on Reimagining the Undergraduate Experience
- The Story of the Mexican Fisherman
- Join The Weekly Newsletter List
- Leave me a voicemail– Leave me a question on the Journey To Launch voicemail and have it answered on the podcast!
- Watch me on News12 Watch my latest segments on News12
- My One on One Money Coaching Services – Get my personalized 1on1 money coaching expertise to help you reach your financial goals
- YNAB – Start managing your money and budgeting so that you can reach your financial dreams. Sign up for a free 2 month trial of YNAB, my go-to budgeting app by using my referral link.
Connect with Carl:
Connect with me:
- Instagram: @journeytolaunch
- Twitter: @JourneyToLaunch
- Facebook: Journey To Launch
- Join the private Facebook Group